Welcome to Keen Doula Care!
My name is Kristi Keen. I am looking forward to helping you have an amazing birth. Welcoming a new baby is an exciting time in one’s life, but it can also be a bit daunting. I help families navigate some of those “what ifs” that can accompany this joyous time. Take a look around to learn more about how I can help you welcome your baby with confidence.
I began supporting Houston families as a birth doula in 2011 after the birth of my first daughter, Lily. It was an life-changing experience that implanted a deep desire in me to help others have the birth of their dreams. I wanted to shout from the rooftops, “Birth can be amazing! You can do it!” I hold current certifications through Birth Boot Camp, and am a proud Birth Boot Camp Instructor & DOULA. I am passionate about learning and strive to stay up-to-date on current birth trends and evidence in order to best serve my clients.
I believe that one’s birth experience shapes how they feel about themselves in the future. My hope is that everyone can leave their birth experience thinking, “I just had an amazing birth! I can do ANYTHING!”
I help families prepare to have an amazing birth in many ways, but here are few ways that I help families have a better experience:
- I come to your home several times before your birth to help build a relationship with you so that I am not “some stranger in the room with you.”
- I learn all of the little details that will make this day as special and comfortable as possible, and to instill confidence that you will totally rock this birth.
- I help you formulate your thoughts and questions so that you can approach each visit with your care provider with confidence, which ensures you are receiving the best care and most information possible.
- I help alleviate anxieties about whether or not things are normal or about adding a second, third, or more baby to the mix
- During labor, I provide lots of phone support before physical support is needed. I can help you decide when is a good time to head in to your birthing facility based on emotional signposts, labor behavior, and contraction timing.
- I assist the birth partner by providing opportunities to go use the restroom, get something to eat, take a nap, or take a breather when needed, with the assurance that their loved ones is in good hands while they tend to their own needs.
- I support the partner where they are, without any judgment, by giving ideas of how to support their loved one.
- I help explain interventions and facilitate communication between staff if necessary.
- I help with position changes, comfort measures, and I remember all the little details we discussed in order to make this a beautiful experience.
- I remain a calm, confident presence for the duration of labor, and I know all of the things that you learned in your childbirth class so you don’t have to worry about remembering everything.
- I can take pictures if I am asked.
- Once the baby is born, I will stay until everyone is comfortable and settled and baby has had a chance to breastfeed if breastfeeding is desired.